|Page (1) of 1 - 06/07/18||email article||print page|
(June 07, 2018)
- Smart Health Innovation Lab opens its state-of-the-art facility, showcasing cutting-edge technologies the lab plans to accelerate to market with a 12-week certification program
- Smart Health Innovation Lab will encourage its candidate companies to build to athenahealth’s APIs, enabling them to integrate with athenahealth’s EHR and other offerings and potentially creating a new sales channel through athenahealth’s MDP marketplace.
- Smart Health Innovation Lab and its partner companies to play an important role in healthcare transformation by advancing new technologies that improve health outcomes, enhance the patient and provider experience, and reduce costs
LANCASTER, Pa., June 07, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Smart Health Innovation Lab, a market adoption accelerator for innovative healthcare technologies, officially opened its state-of-the-art lab in Lancaster, Pa. today, showcasing cutting-edge technologies the lab plans to accelerate to market with a 12-week certification program. Developed collaboratively by Aspire Ventures, Capital BlueCross, Clio Health, and Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, the lab provides access to foundational technologies and services from a wide range of companies across the healthcare and technology ecosystems, including athenahealth, Siemens, and Oneview Healthcare.
At the Smart Health Innovation Lab, resident startups will collaborate with technology, payor, and clinical experts to validate their products and integrate their technologies into clinical workflows. During the 12-week certification program, startups will utilize various simulated care environments at the lab’s state-of-the-art facilities, including a pharmacy, hospital room, physical therapy gym, clinician’s office, and home environment, to demonstrate how their technologies impact cost, the patient and provider experience, and health outcomes.
Beyond the collaboration that Smart Health Innovation Lab encourages between innovators, payors, and providers, the lab also used a collaborative approach to equip the entire facility. Everything from the simulated care environments to the conference rooms have been outfitted by high-profile companies and top-tier vendors that have sponsored the lab. These vendors have supplied cutting-edge solutions that are integral to the lab, and following are details on each vendor’s contribution:
- athenahealth: An innovative cloud-based EHR, revenue cycle, and population health service serving more than 114,000 medical providers, athenahealth will be the primary clinical platform used by the lab. This will allow Smart Health Innovation Lab’s class members to plug into athenahealth’s APIs as part of the integration requirements of certification. Graduates of the certification program will also have the potential to join the athenahealth Marketplace, powered by athenahealth’s “More Disruption Please” team, which fosters the growth of high-potential, early-stage digital health companies.
- CVS Health: A pharmacy innovation company with more than 9,800 retail locations, more than 1,100 walk-in medical clinics, and a leading pharmacy benefits manager, CVS Health helps millions of people a day on their path to better health—from advising on prescriptions to helping manage chronic and specialty conditions. At the Smart Health Innovation Lab, CVS Health will provide the retail pharmacy experience in the lab’s pharmacy care setting.
- Connexion Health: Connexion is a healthcare technology platform and walk-in kiosk that fuses multiple powerful sensors with adaptive AI for touchless, automated health assessments, coupled with an extensive app marketplace capable of enabling countless health and fitness apps. Connexion will be a self-service care setting that lab residents will have the opportunity to plug into for certification.
- Guldmann: A company that works with the development, manufacture, and sales of medical technology for people with reduced capabilities, Guldmann provides overhead lifts for patient safety in the lab’s physical therapy gym and inpatient care settings.
- Midmark: A manufacturer of medical, dental, and veterinary equipment and technologies, Midmark provides medical equipment for the lab’s clinic care setting, including medical casework, patient exam tables, and the IQvitals Zone Bluetooth vital sign machine that will be used in the clinic care setting.
- Oneview: A provider of patient-centric technologies, Oneview delivers the unified in-room patient experience platform for the lab’s inpatient care setting.
- Sage Technology Solutions: A provider of communication solutions, Sage Technology Solutions installed the lab’s nurse call system provided by Rauland, as well as Versus RFID badges for staff identification and tracking, for both the lab’s outpatient and inpatient care settings.
- Siemens: A global leader in electrification, automation, and digitalization, Siemens provides the Smart Room technology for patient control of blinds, lighting, and temperature in the lab’s inpatient care setting.
These “backbone technologies” will play an important role in the Smart Health Certification Program, as class members interface with them in simulated care environments to demonstrate how their products fit into real-world clinical workflows.
“We share a common vision with the Smart Health Innovation Lab to enhance collaboration and innovation across the healthcare ecosystem,” said Michael Palantoni, director of platform strategy and operations at athenahealth. “As the most connected network in the industry, we are constantly supporting healthcare innovators across the country to improve provider and patient experiences across the care continuum. Our strategic relationship with the Smart Health Innovation Lab will further establish a path for innovators to seamlessly accelerate their products, and we look forward to seeing its first class in action.”
In addition to its healthcare technology sponsors, the Smart Health Innovation Lab has also forged important relationships with top-tier vendors in the local community that have helped to outfit the lab with other technology and services. 2K Networking, a technology solution provider and system integration company, provided security and infrastructure technologies for the lab; RMS, a technology integration company specializing in audio/video, automation, and control systems for residential and commercial clients, delivers audio/visual services and leading-edge technologies for the lab’s conference rooms, main entry wall, and tour experience; and ImageFIRST, a healthcare laundry services company for medical practices across the U.S., provides scrubs, lab coats, linens, patient gowns, and robes for the lab.
“Smart Health Innovation Lab was founded on a spirit of collaboration, and we’ve partnered with the best-of-breed in the industry to help transform healthcare. Our approach to fast-tracking healthcare technologies to market is an ambitious project that required a collective effort from all of our partners and sponsors,” said Kim Ireland, CEO of Smart Health Innovation Lab. “Through their contributions and support, our resident startups will have access to a wide range of solutions, services, and a network to streamline the development of their own innovations – so they can contribute to the larger goals of lowering costs, enhancing the patient and provider experience, and improving health outcomes.”
For more details on Smart Health Innovation Lab, please see the press release announcing its grand opening here: https://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/ReleaseNg/2357600
About Smart Health Innovation Lab
Smart Health Innovation Lab, located in Lancaster, Pa., is a state-of-the-art market adoption accelerator built for testing, certifying, and advancing new healthcare technologies. At the lab, payors, providers, and technology companies work together in a unique collaboration to validate and integrate healthcare innovations into the healthcare marketplace. Founded by Aspire Ventures, Capital BlueCross, Clio Health, and Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, the Smart Health Innovation Lab brings together different healthcare stakeholders to achieve a common goal: improving the health of our communities through new technologies that improve the patient and provider experience, lower cost of care, and improve health outcomes.
10Fold for Smart Health Innovation Lab
Related Sites: DMN Newswire , itbusinessnet.com , IBN - Business , IBN - Security , VideoBasedTutorials , HTN - Health Technology Net
Related Newsletter: Tutorial Finder , Review Seeker , IBN - IT Weekly Newsletter , DMN Newswire Newsletter